This is a lovely, simple side dish. The splash of colour these onions provide is dramatic & they have a lovely crunchy texture which will be great with lots of meals, not just Mexican food. Having said that they are heavenly on a corn tortilla loaded with rice, beans, sour cream, avocado & spiced pork.
2 large red onions
Juice of 1 orange
Juice of 2 limes
1 jalapeno/habanero (or other hot chilli)
Preparation: 2 hours before you want to eat
- Slice the onions (about 2mm thick) & place them in a bowl
- Cover with boiling water & soak for 10 minutes
- Drain & add the citrus juices, chilli & about 1 tsp salt
- Mix thoroughly so all the onions are coated in juice
- Leave to marinade for at least 2 hours
- These will keep in an airtight container in the fridge for a couple of weeks.